Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Irony - Can't Ride Bus to Mass Transit Meeting

Anyone looking for a funny bus story today, just gets an ironic, but true story.

I plan to attend the Mass Transit meeting at the Central Library tonight, door open at 7, starts at 7:30.
I can ride IndyGo downtown this morning as usual.
But I don't know how to get home...for a few reasons.

I checked www.indygo.net to try to figure out which lines could take me from downtown to Central Library. There are two maps of the system online, the downtown loops, and the entire system at a glance. The first map is too tight, and doesn't show Central Library, the second is too big, and I can't tell which lines stop by Central Library.

Even if I made it to the Central Library via IndyGo after work, I don't know what time the meeting will conclude, and I don't know which lines would connect me back to my neighborhood. Above all, I feel comfortable riding my line to and from work, but I don't feel comfortable riding IndyGo later in the evening. It could be fine, it may not be, but I'm uncertain.

This situation is probably what most people feel like when considering riding IndyGo. It's inconvenient. I don't know how to do it. I can't figure out the routes. What if I don't know what time I will be done, and then I don't know if there will be a bus at that time.

Indy Gets Green is my real life situation, and while I promote IndyGo and Indianapolis's public transportation, I also know it is important to tell the pros with the cons. I don't think this is reason to give up on the system. I hope everyone sees this as a reason to try harder to make public transportation a real alternative.

All of this is why I chose to drive to work today. I drove my car and didn't ride public transportation, so I could attend the mass transit meeting. Ironic.

1 comment:

Richard Templeton said...

How ironic! Just today, I took the train to the gas station! :)