Thursday, June 26, 2008

Fire alarms and guns

From about 40th Street to 21st Street the IndyGo bus fire alarm (or some other alarm that sounded like a building fire alarm) sounded. The driver didn’t say anything about the alarm. She simply stopped the bus around 25th street, got out, checked something on the front of the bus, got back on, started IndyGo up, and the alarm stopped.

Then it started again. We just laughed. Our driver stopped again at 22nd street, and checked things on the outside of the bus again. Some of the riders looked at each other. The lady in front of me was trying to sleep. I figured if the driver wasn’t alarmed (pun intended) I wouldn’t be alarmed. It stopped. These drivers are great. No one said a word about the alarm.

I didn’t expect a fire alarm to sound on the bus, but as we know from previous blogs, nothing surprises me about IndyGo anymore.

I was surprised last night at a popular northside hangout. I went with two friends, and we met for drinks. We met early, and as the night went on, the crowd got trashy and rowdy. Four or five guys started to get into a fight near our table, and one kept lifting up his shirt to show off his gun. This was the moment we knew we wanted to get out there. We were shocked to see a guy with a gun at Keystone at the Crossing. Maybe we are naïve. I jokingly said, I don’t even see guns on IndyGo.

Then I thought about perceptions and reality. Everyone I know thinks Keystone at the Crossing is completely safe. However, many people I know think that IndyGo is unsafe and sketchy. Perception. Reality. I’ve never seen a gun on IndyGo. I’ve never even seen a fight. Most people keep to themselves, with the exception of me, who is making friends. I always feel safe on the bus. I’m going to think twice about going to Champps.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this would've been a perfect opportunity to rally the others on the bus and have an indygo "chinese firedrill"... Next time?

Caleb Adams said...

I'd consider Champps at Keystone at the Crossing to be safer than IndyGo. Granted I'm underage so I steer clear of the bars and stick to the food and entertaining karaoke. For the 4 years I've had to ride IndyGo to school and elsewhere, I've witnessed at least 2 fights break out, oddly enough on the 8 going east in the afternoon. Things go downhill as the driver usually pays no attention until a good 45 secs after the fight breaks out leaving passengers to break it up. After they're off the bus we have to wait on IMPD to show up and the driver has almost everyone remotely close to the fight fill out a witness card. By this time the next bus behind us has already passed by us, frustrating everyone. Thankfully this hasn't happened for about 2 years now, but like you mentioned, it won't surprise me if another were to start the next time I board.